As it stands now, most of us could do more to live a healthier lifestyle. Luckily, this article will give all of us a few tips for incorporating a healthier diet and exercise into our daily routines.
Get Plenty of Carbs
About 50 percent of the calories in your diet should come from carbohydrates such as the following:
Get at least one type of carbohydrate in at every meal. To increase the amount of fiber you get in your diet, eat wholegrain pasta, cereals, and bread.
Get the Saturated Fats Out Of Your Diet
You need some fats in your diet for good health. But too many fats can affect your cardiovascular health and weight. To keep the good fats in and the bad fats at bay, follow these tips:
- Eat fish up to 3 times a week for the good unsaturated fat
- Limit saturated fats in your diet. Most sources of saturated fats come from animal products. You will also want to stop eating trans fat
- Steam, boil or bake your foods as opposed to frying them. If you cook meats, remove the fat. Cook with vegetable oils
Try to Reduce Salt and Sugar In Your Diet
A high amount of salt in your diet can result in high blood pressure. High salt intake can also cause cardiovascular issues. You can reduce the salt in your diet with these tips:
- Substitute salt with spices
- Shop for low-sodium products at the grocery store
- Don’t add salt to your food before you taste it
Enjoy sugary foods and drinks in moderation as they contain empty calories and few nutrients. Sweeten foods and drinks with fruits instead of sugar.
Move A Little More
Most people can do more to incorporate physical activity into their day-to-day routines. Physical activity helps us burn calories; it increases muscle mass, helps us focus on important tasks, and also lifts our overall well-being. Experts advise that we exercise for 150 minutes every week. We don’t have to work hard to get more exercise into our schedule. Some tips you could follow to get more active include the following:
- Go for a walk during your lunch break
- Do yoga stretches at work when you have a moment
- Get active with your family on the weekends